Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wfhabicher@hotmail.com is offline

Default OT. metal scanner

On Mar 31, 6:49*am, RoyJ wrote:
The later model Zicron 'Stud Sensor's work fairly well in deep plaster,
not great but assuming the stud is straight, you can find them. I also
use the pellet type super magnets, just slide on the wall, they hop to
any nail even if buried. They will easily stick to a lathe nail buried
under 3/8" of plaster.

When I installed a grab bar for by Dad's place I had to go into the
closet behind the shower, open a hole, and put in an extra 2x4 for
support. The spacing of the bar mounts just didn't work any other way.

pintlar wrote:
I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails in
my bathtub. *The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over that.
There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. *It is too unrelialbe with the
pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a member
of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. *charlie

The salvaged magnets from old hard drives are good for locating nails
and screws holding lath and drywall to studs.

I use this method successfully to attach wide baseboards and chair
rails.

Wolfgang