Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default Which screws for drywall studwork

On Mar 31, 11:10*am, Tim S wrote:
Hi,

This weekend I'm starting a bit of drywalling for the new tank and airing
cupboard. Got a load of 100x50mm PAR ready and a plan on Sketchup...

I've already got a load of GoldscrewPlus screws, but having tested some, I
wonder if there's a preferred screw for knocking studwork together.

The GoldscrewPlus have good grip and self-starting ability, but fail to pull
the timber together well.

OK, drilling a pilot is one option, but I just wondered what pro's would
use?

No idea what pro's use, but the options a
- drill a pilot hole
- clamp the pieces together
- don't worry about it (does it actually matter if the pieces aren't
clamped together?)
- Depending on the screw size and the wood involved, if you just keep
screwing the screw may eventually cut a clearance hole. (The
alternative is that the screw head just sinks through the top piece).

If I had to pick one, these look promising:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62925/...d-Screws/Screw...

Ta

Tim