Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Which screws for drywall studwork

Dave Osborne coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

This weekend I'm starting a bit of drywalling for the new tank and airing
cupboard. Got a load of 100x50mm PAR ready and a plan on Sketchup...

I've already got a load of GoldscrewPlus screws, but having tested some,
I wonder if there's a preferred screw for knocking studwork together.

The GoldscrewPlus have good grip and self-starting ability, but fail to
pull the timber together well.

I'm wondering if you have faulty technique?

If you don't drill a pilot hole through the first piece of wood, the
second piece will never pull in at all (not with any type of
fully-threaded screw).

When you screw two pieces of wood together with no pilot hole, you screw
through the first piece, then when you bear on the second piece it (the
second piece) "moves away" before the screw begins to cut. This gives a
permanent gap between the two pieces.

The trick is to screw through the first piece, then screw partially into
the second piece, then unscrew from the second piece, then screw back
in. The second time, the gap between the two pieces is eliminated.

Just a thought. Sorry if this is Granddmother/egg/suck territory.

Not at all - it's an interesting idea.

I've been playing with some of these "new fangled" screws and I haven't got
the hang of them yet ;-

Cheers

Tim