Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default patching ceiling crack

Nate Nagel wrote:
hello again...

as part of the can or worms I've apparently opened in my kitchen, I've
busted out the mud and sanding screens in preparation to paint the area
that I've freshly exposed by taking down a cabinet that was in the way
of the shiny new fridge that's set to arrive in a couple days. Since
I've already got the stuff out, I suppose I might as well patch the
ceiling where the ugly fluorescent light fixture used to be. I think I
took it down Christmas day 2007 so... yeah. I'm a little slow. there's
a crack running the length of the area (4') and I know the RIGHT way to
patch it is to dig it out, then put down some mesh tape and feather it.
However it looks like on the previously exposed area someone just
shoved some mud in it and called it good, and the crack has also not
reappeared in the two plus years we have been in the house, which says
to me that it's pretty stable. Would it be really, really bad to just
do the same? To fix it "right" I'd probably end up painting the whole
damn ceiling, and I'm just not ready for that yet (and I don't know that
I have enough paint to do that... right now I'm just trying to make it
look "acceptable," a full repaint/color change is a ways down the road)

nate

SWMBO's opinion on this quick fix?