Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about buying a multimeter

I've fried several Fluke fuses, at about $12 a pop (yes,
they do pop when they blow). Finally decided to use my $4 HF
meter whenever possible. At least their pops are cheaper.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F"
wrote in message ...

However many do have a special small protective fuse
(usually a few
milliamps) inside and some even provide a spare fuse!
Resist the
temptation to 'fix' the fuse with Al foil (unless very
temporarily and
you know exactly what you are doing) because next time one
makes a
mistake (and we all do occasionally!) It's very easy
perched on an
awkward ladder with cramp in the bad left leg to forget
that you were
just testing for continuity with the ohmmeter setting; and
then touch
it on 115 or 230 volts ......................
darn!!!!!!!!! That may
very well damage the meter!

In my experience, testing on the amp ranges is where the
greatest risk to the
meter comes in.