Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pintlar pintlar is offline

Default OT. metal scanner

I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails in
my bathtub. The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over that.
There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. It is too unrelialbe with the
pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a member
of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. charlie