Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield Bert Byfield is offline

Default Question about buying a multimeter

On digital meters input impedance is pretty high already. High Z
gives more accuracy by not loading circuit under measurement but
some times it is not useful for it's high sensitivity. That is
why I still have old tank Simpson 260, Fluke, and even an old
VTVM when dealing wth high frequency circuit. On top of that
o'scope if I need to see something when numbers don't help. Some
times also simple test light is enough.

But we weren't talking about that aspect of meters, so you're
just further confusing the subject.

The real question is: What is the use of the multimeter? If you were an
electronics pro, you wouldn't be asking this question. If you just want
to fix stuff around the house, go cheap. Maybe not $5 Big Lots cheap,
but say $15 or $20 cheap at Walmart or the big box hardware chain
stores. I'd pay more for digital, myself, just for the convenience.