Posted to alt.home.repair
1D1OT 1D1OT is offline

Default Strange observations during a power outage

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 3/29/2009 5:34 PM Malcolm Hoar spake thus:

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

And really, how else could a transformer fail spectacularly, other
than an overload, except by there being some kind of massive
overvoltage surge (what people incorrectly call a "power surge")?

Slightly OT - The transformer serving my house, about 40' away, was struck
by lightning a few years ago. The noise of the lightning/explosion was
breathtaking. After the storm let up I went out to see what happened. The
pole was splintered and the largest piece of transformer was about 1/2 sq.
foot, and was in the nearby woods. Lotsa oil too. WOW!