Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default just a thought...

Lefty wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
every good garage deserves a fridge. However, there is no heat in my
garage. I know you're not supposed to operate a fridge at low temps, but
if I unplugged it for the winter would it fire up OK in the spring?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

They make cheap fridges (and freezers too) specificaly for low ambient use.
We have both, and they operate way cheaper than the old units they replaced.

Thanks to all for the replies. I probably wouldn't be *using* it when
it's cold, I just was concerned that the compressor being physically
exposed to freezing temperatures (actually, especially if not operating)
might cause it to seize up earlier than normal.

On the subject of fridges, I was pleasantly surprised today. SWMBO and
I went fridge shopping yesterday and ordered a new fridge to replace the
old POS. Unfortunately anything over 18 ft^3 requires removing a
cabinet above the fridge. Took it down and found that the wall is in
good shape and didn't have any holes, cracks, etc. other than the screw
holes used to mount the cabinet (whew.) Got spackle in 'em now and when
that dries I'll sand down the whole wall and skim it with drywall mud.
Sometimes you get lucky.

I hope this fancy new fridge lasts as long as the old one... I think we
just paid more for a fridge than I did for my 944. Granted, it's kind
of a beater, but still. According to my Kill-A-Watt though it should
cost us about half as much to operate as the smaller old one though...
didn't get a chance to really sample over a long period of time though
as the power went out one night this week. First time I checked I got a
rate of over 900 KWh/year, today when I unplugged it to move it average
rate was over 1000 KWh/year

nate