Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Question about buying a multimeter

On Mar 29, 2:32*pm, svu geek wrote:
I need to buy a multimeter. I noticed that for the resistance some
have 2000k and some have 20M, which I believe are totally different.
Which one is better to have? Or does it even matter? I'm mostly
interested in testing something that's around 2M. So I don't know if
it matters which multimeter I get.

Partly it may be matter of what you will use it for!
For household electrics the cheapest one may be fine.
It's also a matter of knowing how to use it; practically not
theoretically.
If you are measuring batteries, home electrcity etc.it doesn't matter
much.
If you are tinkering or repairing with electronic circuits, it may be
desirable to have one that has a high resistance so that it affects
what one is working on the least.
For example if you put a meter of 2,000 kilohms (That's 2 megs by the
way) across a circuit that itself has resistance of say 2 megs you
will get a wrong reading (a very wrong reading). That's why high
quality bench testers can be 50 meg-ohms, so they have virtually no
effect on what they are measuring.
If testing 12 volts DC for the car, or whether an electric heater of
around 10 ohms is OK, or 115 or 230 volts AC it won't matter!
Megohm = 10^6 or one million ohms
Kilohm = 10^3 or one thousand ohms
Ohm = one ohm
All are measurments in units of resistance to the flow of electric
current.