Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] rnrbrogan@yahoo.com is offline

Default Dust collection piping sticker shock

On Mar 28, 11:58*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 27, 4:46*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

OK, so I figured when I formalize my dust collection for the home shop
I'll just go to Grizzly and order all the metal pipe, fittings and
blast gates I need. Going all metal I'll avoid the static problems.
Going with smooth pipe I avoid the friction loss of flex, yada, yada.
Well even with a very conservitive 2 branch run it is a bit costly.

So if I go plastic and religiously run the copper wire, etc. can I
just use standard ABS or something of the sort?

DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?!

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who heard of a guy that built his home
DC system with PVC. *He ripped every piece in half and foiled taped
the outside and the inside of every pipe, used gold-plated copper
bolts to connect the in*out layers of foil. *He then pounded 8' copper
grounding rods every two feet and connected them to the piping. *Even
after all of this he brushed up against the piping with his flannel
shirt and produced a static explosion that killed hundreds!

Seriously, I would only have one concern. *A static shock could
startle you and cause some part of your body to come in contact with
some part of a moving tool.

I recently bought some galvanized HVAC ductwork for my house and it
was surprisingly cheap. *A 6" round duct 5' long was as cheap at the
supply house as the 4" metal dryer ducts are at the Borg. *I don't
know the guage of it but it seems that it could withstand the suction
of a DC. *They had long sweep 90s, Wyes, 45s, and numerous other
fittings. *Defintely worth a trip to your local supply house to see
what is available.

Second that. When we were building our house I installed the dryer
vent and some other short runs of venting not related to HVAC. The
vent, exterior fitting and a few clamps came up to about $25-30. You
can also get the elbows that will adjust from 90 to 45 degrees. Got
me thinking about future dust use.

RonB