Posted to rec.woodworking
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Dust collection piping sticker shock

On Mar 27, 4:46*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
OK, so I figured when I formalize my dust collection for the home shop
I'll just go to Grizzly and order all the metal pipe, fittings and
blast gates I need. Going all metal I'll avoid the static problems.
Going with smooth pipe I avoid the friction loss of flex, yada, yada.
Well even with a very conservitive 2 branch run it is a bit costly.

So if I go plastic and religiously run the copper wire, etc. can I
just use standard ABS or something of the sort?

DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?!

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who heard of a guy that built his home
DC system with PVC. He ripped every piece in half and foiled taped
the outside and the inside of every pipe, used gold-plated copper
bolts to connect the in*out layers of foil. He then pounded 8' copper
grounding rods every two feet and connected them to the piping. Even
after all of this he brushed up against the piping with his flannel
shirt and produced a static explosion that killed hundreds!

Seriously, I would only have one concern. A static shock could
startle you and cause some part of your body to come in contact with
some part of a moving tool.

I recently bought some galvanized HVAC ductwork for my house and it
was surprisingly cheap. A 6" round duct 5' long was as cheap at the
supply house as the 4" metal dryer ducts are at the Borg. I don't
know the guage of it but it seems that it could withstand the suction
of a DC. They had long sweep 90s, Wyes, 45s, and numerous other
fittings. Defintely worth a trip to your local supply house to see
what is available.