Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default Dust collection piping sticker shock

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:53:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

LRod wrote:

If you can find a single documented case of a home shop dust
collection system exploding you will win the grand prize of being the
first. No one else has, becuase it can't happen.

I generally agree w/ the article (and was going to post that a
substantial portion was published in FWW a few years ago) but you've
taken a liberty in the above statement. I haven't studied it thoroughly
to see what changes/updates have been made, but I don't believe the
conclusion drawn is "impossible", only "improbable".

It depends on the local conditions and, as noted, size and dust density.

I'm comfortable with the liberty I took. Based on Rod's article and my
paragraph noting the utter lack of evidence of it ever happening in a
home shop makes it a lock in my book. Other's books may vary.

Yes, "improbable" was Rod's conclusion. And I understand that the lack
of evidence is not evidence, but it sure is an extremely powerful
indicator when considered in conjunction with the article.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.