Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Getting paint off aluminum

On Mar 27, 9:29*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Someone painted the console of my Lund. *Then didn't mask it off, and some
of the spray got on the inside side of the boat. *In several places. *Ronnie
Milsap coulda did a better job.

I'm going to pull the console and the bench and everything else that will
come out for recarpeting. *While it's out, I'll paint it right. *But I need
to take off the paint from the aluminum. *Suggestions? *A vibrating sander?
Acetone? *Paint remover? *Scouring pads? *What will look decent without
buffing it up? *And if I do buff it up, how would I age it quickly to dull
it down before I put the parts back in there?

Help appreciated.

Steve

If nothing else works, aircraft paint stripper will. If you use
chemical means, you probably won't lose any polish on the alloy
underneath, if that's important. If you're going to paint it anyway,
sand away! I've gotten the real stuff from a body shop supplier,
hardware store brands are a very poor substitute.

While you're there, check out what they've got for prepping aluminum
for paint, there are a number of primers and conversion coatings that
can be had. If you really want a durable job,check into automotive
finishes. Short of the stuff they use on oil rigs, it's about the
toughest stuff. You'll want to get all the stuff, primer paint,
thinner, hardener, from the same paint maker, the "families" all work
together.

Stan