Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default Dust collection piping sticker shock

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:07:32 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Mar 27, 2:56*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Oh, boy, here we go again. :-)

General consensus here is that the grounding wire is not necessary. Google
Groups search will turn up hundreds of posts here on the subject.

Being a safety nut I'll probably do it. I have seen it detailed so
specifically in the Grizzly and other help docs. But I can be
convinced with science so maybe I'll research that while I look around
for answers about using pvc or abs.

Safety has nothing to do with it any more than spreading scraps of
paper in your yard keeps the elephants away. Can't happen, and a
friend of mine who's at MIT wrote this article a few years ago after
conducting some experiments and running some math:
http://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodw.../DC_myths.html

If you can find a single documented case of a home shop dust
collection system exploding you will win the grand prize of being the
first. No one else has, becuase it can't happen.

All the stories of grain elevators and factories are true. The problem
is scale. The conditions in those places (huge volume, huge quantity
of fine particulate, etc.) which can lead to static spark explosion
don't exist in any home shop--even if you have a 2000 ft^2 out
building.

If you want a metaphor to put it in perspective, watch a movie about
ships (WWII are fine examples). Whenever it comes to explosions and
sinking, they always use models. You can always tell it's a model by
the water. Water molecules can't scale down. Splashes and foam are the
same size whether it's a model or a real ship creating them.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.