Posted to rec.woodworking
montyhp montyhp is offline

Default Dust collection piping sticker shock

On Mar 27, 5:15*pm, Steve Turner wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
OK, so I figured when I formalize my dust collection for the home shop
I'll just go to Grizzly and order all the metal pipe, fittings and
blast gates I need. Going all metal I'll avoid the static problems.
Going with smooth pipe I avoid the friction loss of flex, yada, yada.
Well even with a very conservitive 2 branch run it is a bit costly.

So if I go plastic and religiously run the copper wire, etc. can I
just use standard ABS or something of the sort?

BW

I just went through this whole exercise - I didn't buy any of my
ductwork from Grizzly because they only sell the top of the line stuff
and their price is Out Of This World. *Choosing not to use PVC, the only
other option I found was galvanized "snap lock". *The HVAC industry uses
it, and they also carry a measly inventory of it at Lowe's Depot, but
good luck trying to find any gauge thicker than 30 at ANY of those
places (you need at least 26 gauge). *I looked and LOOKED and found that
pretty much the only games in town are Penn State and KenCraft:

[snip]

I finished my raised floor this year and put in the snap lock ducting
from lowes/home depot. I used the regular stuff they had, it is
probably 30 gauge. I did a test by running a few lengths and shutting
off the end with a blast gate. I couldn't collapse it. My DC is the
old 220V grizzly (I think it is 2 HP). I run it directly out in the
back of the shop with no bags because I get extra suction that way. I
have had no problems with the thin stuff and I have plenty of suction
for saw, planer and jointer (not all at the same time, run through
blast gates).

I did have to go to 4-5 different stores to get all the correct
fittings. BTW, I ran the 6" size and use 6 to 4" reducers for the
hoses. I guess I violated every rule in Bill Pentz's book, but I have
absolutely no complaints.

My experience

Montyhp