Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how accurate are "energyguide" numbers vs. Kill-A-Watt?

On Mar 27, 7:37*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

I replaced my 24 year old side by side with a new Kitchenaid energy
star model last year. *According to the energy guide it was supposed
to use about $90 a year in electricity. * I measured it with a
kilowatt meter and it was spot on. * I also measured the old one and
it was using $185 a year. *I performed the test over 3 days with both
units. * So, in this case, the energy guide is right and I'm saving
$95/year, which helps pay for the new unit.

How much did the new unit cost?

$1300. Which is why I said the energy savings of $95/year HELP pay
for the cost of the new unit. I actually started looking at a fridge
because at 24 years old, it was time for a new one for other reasons.
I knew that a new one would save some energy costs, but I was
surprised that it cut the electric usage by about 50%. I agree that
if you're otherwise happy with what you have, it;s very possible, even
likely that you won;t come out ahead by buying a new one. Your best
shot at having the energy costs pay for it is probably with an old
very basic unit compared to a new similar energy star unit. That way
you;re only paying for the essential refrigeration, not ice makers/
water in the door, stainless doors, etc. Even then, it would take a
long time.

Also, my energy savings is based on electric cost in NJ, which at
around 16cents is among the highest. If you live somewhere that has
electric at 11cents, the cost savings/justification are less.

If, say, $1000, you lose $40/year in
opportunity costs (interest on your money). If you had to borrow to buy the
unit at, say, 8%, that's $80/year in interest.

To take this concept to a ridiculous extreme, one could spend $50,000 for
solar heating, wind turbines, etc., to save an ENTIRE electric bill of
$200/month.

Saving money on power usage is good, but, in the view of some, saving money
might be way down on the list of reasons.