Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how accurate are "energyguide" numbers vs. Kill-A-Watt?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:33:06 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

subject says all...

in an effort to see how much a new fridge would really be worth in terms
of energy savings I got a Kill-A-Watt (found one online under $30)
hooked it up to fridge. In 24 hours of use it's apparently used almost
2.5 kWh - that's over 900 kWh/year!

I see most of the fridges that I'm considering are rated at about 500
kWh/year give or take.

do both of these numbers seem reasonable? A new 25 ft^3 "energy star"
fridge would use a little more than half as much juice as my 20 year old
18 ft^3 clunker?

If this is true, I won't feel nearly so badly about spending the $$$...

nate

For the most part I trust the accuracy of a kill-o-watt meter. I
trust government claims (or anything else for that matter) much less
than years ago. Check the refrigerator wall thicknesses when you
compare. Refrigerators use a lot of energy.