Posted to alt.electronics,comp.sci.electronics,rec.electronics,sci.electronics
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Convert "ping" on piezo to LED flash?

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 03:14:01 -0000, Richard Crowley wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote ...
I have a device which makes a "ping" noise on a piezo tweeter
(one of those 10p sized things you get in wrist watches).

Is this (unidentified) "device" something with some power to it?
Or is it something like a wris****ch that runs on a coin cell
for a year?

It's got 5 volts into it at half an amp. It's a car satnav. If more power is needed, I can always get 12V from the car, but it would be neater not to.

Is there
any way I can connect this output to some LEDs to flash

Depends on how much power is available (unknown) and
how much power "some LEDs" take (also unknown).

As many LEDs as I can use (well not more than 10).

when it makes the noise?

If you want to drive BOTH the piezo AND the LEDs, then
you need even more power.

I can do without the piezo if I have to. I didn't think the piezo used anything like what LEDs used, so I assumed there would have to be extra power put in anyway.

Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time,
but don't point to their crotch when asking where the bathroom
is?

Who do people post silly questions to Usenet?

I do.

Or did you mean "why"? In which case the answer is "it's a random joke tag".

If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.