Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default how accurate are "energyguide" numbers vs. Kill-A-Watt?

On Mar 26, 6:33*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
subject says all...

in an effort to see how much a new fridge would really be worth in terms
of energy savings I got a Kill-A-Watt (found one online under $30)
hooked it up to fridge. *In 24 hours of use it's apparently used almost
2.5 kWh - that's over 900 kWh/year!

I see most of the fridges that I'm considering are rated at about 500
kWh/year give or take.

do both of these numbers seem reasonable? *A new 25 ft^3 "energy star"
fridge would use a little more than half as much juice as my 20 year old
18 ft^3 clunker?

If this is true, I won't feel nearly so badly about spending the $$$...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You will save, I did the same test with a new sears 19.5 frige and
KAW meter and I was somewhere near 4.50 a month, a bit better than the
yellow tag rating, but I didnt keep doors open long. If its family use
and people keep the doors open while shopping for food your rating
wont be as good as rated, and your regular use might make it less, but
you will still save. When I shopped my decision was only the most
efficient unit I could get. www.energystar.gov has all ratings, but
still check with the Yellow Tag since models vary and there is old
stock.