Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default The Turning Rut - Staying In Comfort Zone? (long & wrong)

No hats ? My uncle turns hats.

Martin

wrote:
I am giving turning a rest. It was my prime recreational activity for
about 8 - 10 years, but I have had enough for a while.

We have enough bowls, Christmas ornaments, lamp pulls, oil lamps,
pens, spoons, spatulas, potpourri holders, candlesticks, tool handles,
offset turned objects d' art, mallets, lidded boxes, gavels and mulch
to last for a long time.

It is a shame. I have four lathes, including one I bought for
teaching. I used to stand at the lathe for as much as 12 hours,
turning away. I went into the shop and turned whenever I got a
chance, just to grind up some wood. I was totally consumed with
turning, and even while driving I would stop anytime I saw a piece of
wood that looked "interesting" and throw it in the back of the truck.
I don't know where all of that energy and interest went.

Since my occupation is hands on remodeling/woodworking, I work with
wood all the time so I don't miss the woodworking aspect of turning.

I have now dusted off my ancient hiking and camping equipment (how do
things get 25 - 30 years old so damn fast?) and have started hitting
the trail a bit again. Of course now, with hiking and camping comes
digital photography...

I think my next woodworking skill to learn will be veneering.

My next craft skill to learn may be knife making.

Not sure when I will get back to turning. I think I rolled out of the
rut and went right on off the farm...

Robert