Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Oman Paul Oman is offline

Default Epoxy coating a round log

On Mar 23, 2:12 pm, Paul Oman wrote:
wrote:
Hi...any tips on applyingepoxyto a round log? I do not need the
entire log coated as I am not worried about the underside.
Do I just lay the log on some plastic, pour theepoxyover it and let
gravity do its work?
I am in theepoxybusiness. What exactly are you trying to do? - paul

The log is about 5 foot long and is only about 6 inches in diameter.
I actually split the log in half last night. It's for a bar as an arm
rest. It can now sit nice and flat and all I need is a smooth, hard
finish over the log. What's my best option?

Is this a log with bark, or cleaned off? From my days of refinishing
pianos, I learned that you can build a thick finish with shellac and
then use varnish as a protective coat. Shellac isn't
water/alcohol-proof. If you are going to pour the finish on, fashion
a prop - nails stuck through scrap wood? - so the log isn't resting on
a surface.

set it on some plastic or wax paper then just 'brush/pour' on some
,marine epoxy which is about honey thick over it....
Then perhaps a coat or three of varnish - paul/progressive epoxy polymers