Posted to alt.home.repair
abby abby is offline

Default Seattle man scales back remodeling plans

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,

On 2009-03-25, HeyBub wrote:

In order to get a permit from the city to do some remodeling (upgrade the
kitchen, paint the exterior, etc.), he has to fork over $15,000(!) to have
an asphalt sidewalk installed on his 60' frontage.

He's not remodeling, he's doing a complete teardown and building a new
house. That's why the sidewalk requirement kicked in.

Wayne

Maybe he can use a loophole often used around here -- leave a small
section of one wall somewhere. Then it's called a remodel.

The house across the street was built on a remodel permit. The original "house"
is a small, stone foundation from the 1800s. All else of the house was long
gone. The "remodeled" house is 50 feet from that foundation. How that got that
past our notoriously strict zoning board is a mystery. And I'm sure there is
some entity that would not allow the original foundation touched.

Our 150 ft driveway cost $6000 to pave and this town (Harvard, MA) is not cheap.
$15K for a 60 ft sidewalk?

Gary