Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default Switch for outdoor light

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my
shop. The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room).
Switch and light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to
pole light is broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many
slabs under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and
switch it from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able
to turn it on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away?
Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120
feet of 3 wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

What you need to do is repair your broken yard wire. THEN using the
house end as the feeder, use the two existing wires as travelers , and
pick up the neutral from the shop. You don't need the third wire
between the switches. This is typically called a 'california three way'
switch setup. It may or may not satisfy the code ninnys but it works
just fine.