Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

You're right William, because for *me*, I'm dubious that a *decent* one
that's readily available, actually exists, If I haven't managed to find

one
in the several years that I've been trying, then it's a bit of a lost

cause.
It's a f'kin light bulb for Christ's sake ! I want to be able to just go

my supermarket and buy whatever is there, stick 'em in the fitting, and

have
light that doesn't give me suicidal tendencies ... (that my eyes can
actually read under !)

I guess if you don't like 'em, you just don't.

I disagree strongly. You have GOOD REASONS not to like the ones you've seen.

And how on earth do you see the light output from an incandescent 'ramp

up'
? That really *must* be as a result of that low voltage American

electricity.

I have no trouble seeing it. An incandescent bulb takes a fraction of a
second to reach full brightness, and this is plainly visible. 220V bubls
should be no different.

... I can honestly say that I have never in all my years seen a

traditional
incandescent bulb start slowly enough to be able to see it do so.

That's because you assume they come on "instantly". They don't.

Even if you have found CFLs over there that satisfy you as to their
suitability for the job, that still doesn't address the many negative
aspects of them over incandescents, which are conveniently ignored
to servethe green lobby's arguments on end-point energy useage.

Such as the fact they use more materials in their manufacture? This has to
be weighed against how long they last and how much energy they (don't) use
over their lifespan.