Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I have. I currently have one in a bathroom 'globe' fitting. It takes a
quarter second to start, which although is a very short time, is still

long
enough for your dumb old brain to think "sod it, the bulb's gone ..."

every
single time you go in there.

My cheap Chinese CFLs from Home Despot start instantly -- faster than an
incandescent. (That's not a joke. They don't "ramp up" the way an
incandescent does. Blam, they're on)

After it does start, for the first 20 seconds,
the light is like a candle shining through a glass of ****.

Mine are fairly bright to start, but take about 30 seconds to reach full
brightness. The color is okay from the start.

The colour of the light is sick and rancid. I have another in an
outside
light. During the winter, that is just about giving its full quota of

light,
by the time it's dawn, and time for it to go off again.

Not mine. They aren't up to photographic CFLs, but they're close.

My wife has one in the lamp on her side of the bed. When it's on, the
room
has a strange 'green' feel to it - even though it's predominantly pink
and
magnolia.

Those are Really Bad CFLs.

It's no wonder you don't like CFLs. You just haven't seen any decent
ones.

You're right William, because for *me*, I'm dubious that a *decent* one
that's readily available, actually exists, If I haven't managed to find one
in the several years that I've been trying, then it's a bit of a lost cause.
It's a f'kin light bulb for Christ's sake ! I want to be able to just go to
my supermarket and buy whatever is there, stick 'em in the fitting, and have
light that doesn't give me suicidal tendencies ... (that my eyes can
actually read under !)

I guess if you don't like 'em, you just don't. A bit like the way that you
just don't like some particular brands of audio gear, no matter what others
think of them ... :-)

And how on earth do you see the light output from an incandescent 'ramp up'
? That really *must* be as a result of that low voltage American electricity
.... I can honestly say that I have never in all my years seen a traditional
incandescent bulb start slowly enough to be able to see it do so. Possible
exception to this is some halogen bulbs in decorative fittings, but as there
are not CFLs to directly replace those, it's hard to use them as a
comparison. Also, a lot of the low voltage halogens are driven these days by
'electronic transformers' which may well 'soft start', giving the ramping up
effect.

Even if you have found CFLs over there that satisfy you as to their
suitability for the job, that still doesn't address the many negative
aspects of them over incandescents, which are conveniently ignored to serve
the green lobby's arguments on end-point energy useage.

Arfa