Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Switch for outdoor light

In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my shop.
The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room). Switch and
light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from switch to pole light is
broken (dug it up and found the break).
I don't want to lay new cable from house to shop because of the many slabs
under which I would have to go. So, I would like to power it and switch it
from the shop (only 12 inches from the pole) but still be able to turn it
on/off from the house.
Are there any remote control devices that will work 120 feet away? Seems
like that would be a lot cheaper than trenching and paying for 120 feet of 3
wire burial cable.

Thanks for all info,

Ivan Vegvary

Here's one that's good for five miles:

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedPr...ge_Wireless_Sw
itch_System/32546/0

But I'd just splice the damn wire. You know, staggered soldered butt
splices insulated with a few layers of the goo-filled shrink tubing.
Completely against code, I imagine, but I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep
over it. YMMV.