Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Vise stop

On 2009-03-25, Stupendous Man wrote:
I cant figure out how this works in a Mill vise, and won't buy one to find
out. I use a mill vise that has jaws that stick up 3/16 inch from the body
but are tapered back so nothing can be clamped to them. Is that where it
goes?

That is exactly how it goes. Make a replacement set of vise
jaws without the bevel and it will work find. All mill vises which I
have seen allow for replaceable jaws.

anyone have a picture of one installed?
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CG...MPXNO=17703084

There are other kinds of stops as well. You can drill and tap
into one end of a vise jaw, and use a machine screw to attach a piece of
steel which will pivot out to become a stop, or pivot out of the way.

There are also stops which clamp to the T-slot and have a
projection which can be adjusted to stop the workpiece.

The Kurt Anglock vises (at least the semi-newer ones) have a
milled groove along the top of the jaw for the stop to attach to.

All in all -- first look at the problem, then design a
solution for it. And consider the vise jaws as expendables. You can
bolt on soft jaws (aluminum or a mild steel) and mill a pocket to hold a
small workpiece precisely.

I've even gotten a 4" Kurt-II with jaws with magnets embedded to
hold parallels in place while you change the workpiece.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564