Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Building DIY pro. speakers - 500_watt_top_box.jpg (1/1)

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:47:35 -0400,
wrote:

(1) Passive crossover... Yecch!

Yes, I'll agree with that 100%. The reasons for that being long and
complicated.

The horn is 12db more sensitive than the woofer, so it will receive less than 50
watts max... bi-amping is not required under that condition.

Bi-amping is ALWAYS an EXCELLENT idea since electronic crossovers can match and sum
far better than passive ones (component tolerances plus insensitivity to driver
impedance change with frequency), plus the amplifier power to each driver can be
tailored to each driver without lossy pads. Tri or quad amping are better still.

Bi-amping a horn for less than 50 watts, over 2500 hz, for live sound, is a
waste of money... Find 0ne person in the crowd that could tell...

A 50W continuous rated horn ? There are plenty of commercial products that bi-amp at
that level. The second amp is probably cheaper to build than a decently made passive
crossover.

I'm a pro-audio consultant so I should know !

Graham