Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Epoxy coating a round log

wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:12 pm, Paul Oman wrote:
wrote:
Hi...any tips on applyingepoxyto a round log? I do not need the
entire log coated as I am not worried about the underside.

Do I just lay the log on some plastic, pour theepoxyover it and let
gravity do its work?

I am in theepoxybusiness. What exactly are you trying to do? - paul

The log is about 5 foot long and is only about 6 inches in diameter.
I actually split the log in half last night. It's for a bar as an arm
rest. It can now sit nice and flat and all I need is a smooth, hard
finish over the log. What's my best option?

I'm with Joe as far as epoxy or polyester goes.

As far as "smooth" goes, how rough is it now? Bark on or off? If on, heavy
and serrated or pretty smooth? It would help to know what species it is.

Assuming you only want to coat the now flat surface...

1. cover some thin strips of wood with plastic tape on one side

2. tack the strips - plastic side in - to your log so that they extend a
bit above it

3. pour polyester CASTING resin onto the surface

4. after the resin cures, remove the wood strips and clean up drips on
sides. You could minimize drips by sticking some modeling clay in voids
between the the log and strips of wood making up the dam.
__________________

If you want to coat more than the flat surface, one way you could do it
regardless of current smoothness is to sort of cast it by building a trough
affair of heavy but bendable mylar, suspending the log so there is maybe
1/8" between it and the mylar then filling the trough with catalyzed rein.
You could also make a trough by splitting a cardboard cylinder and lining it
with polyethylene plastic (plastic drop cloths are polyethylene). The
plastic should peel off easily once cured.

Either way would be a PITA.

NOTE: polyester resin heats up as it cures. The faster it sets (more
catalyst) the more heat.

Decent source for resins...
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

--