Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a new water heater

On Mar 25, 11:25*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

Powervent models ARE a type of *DIRECT VENT water heater. * Direct
vent models all go directly through an outside wall, as opposed to a
chimney. * The difference is powervent models add a fan which allows
longer venting runs, higher efficiency, pvc, etc.

So the fan increases the price from 400 to 1100? Or 1700 as someone
found on the web? Serious question.

For $400, you'd get a low end 40 gallon unit and you might get that
price at a home center, but maybe not from the local plumber,
especially if you're in a major city. His is 50 gallon and we don't
know where he got it, so start adding for that. Power vent models
are highest efficiency tank type, so they are positioned as top of the
line models, so typically they have better tanks, with a longer
warranty, more insulation. possibly higher recovery rate, electronic
controls for the fan/safety, etc. Still you could certainly get one
for $800 at Lowes, HD, etc.

When I bought my last one about 8 years ago, I looked at the
efficiencies vs prices and concluded it didn't make sense to pay 2X
for a high efficiency one. Now, with 30% FED tax credits, I would
think it could make sense.