Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default House Painting And Pressure Washing ?

On Mar 24, 6:16*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have a question regarding painting my house.
Concerns really.

House is the typical wooden clapboard style.
Hasn't been painted for about 7 years or so.

I guess the normal thing that they recommend is to have it pressure washed
first, to remove any mildew and clean the surface prior to the new paint.

The new paint will, I guess, be a coating that adheres to the old paint, and
will never actually see the wood underneath. *Is this so ?

So, if the old paint flakes off the wood, it would take the new layer of
paint with it.
Am I looking at this scenario correctly ?

As there are a few spots that do show some flaking (the paint that's on
there now), I'm a bit concerned about the pressure washing loosening up even
more of the original paint.

But there sure is some light mildew here and there that I would like to have
removed.
Also, I guess a good cleaning will help the new paint adhere better. *True ?

Is pressure washing first, therefore, a good idea, or best not to have it
done at all ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

You have to kill mold with bleach, power wash and scrape all loose
paint, prime bare wood in oil, and dont paint a hot surface or in hot
sun. Go to a real paint store and work with their pros on the whole
job.