Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Using 60A Circuit

"H_X" wrote in message
Folks,

I have a stove that uses a 60A circuit. I am going to be replacing it
with two devices: One a 240V 40A device, the other a 240V 20 A
device.

Question: Can I use the 60A wire as a source for both the 40A and 20A
circuits, by putting in a small 60 or 70A breaker box behind the new
oven, and add 20A and 40A breakers to get the configuration I need?
Or do I just have to abandon the current wire, and run two new ones
from the main box?

Thanks.

Any breaker box you install has to be easily accessible. It can't be "behind
the new oven". You also must have separate neutral and ground conductors in
the feeder cable and keep them separate in the new breaker box if either of
your new loads requires a neutral for 120 volts.

Don Young