Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Paint over powder coat

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:52:59 -0700, mkr5000 wrote:

I had some aluminum parts powder coated and frankly, I've never been a
big fan of the process.
Too glossy, shows fingerprints easy and to me, it looks like a bad paint
job would -- because you can see the "globs" when the light hits it just
right.

You know, like paint that was put on too thick.

Anyway, I was wondering if a light sanding might make a good surface for
some paint.

Either a Polane 2 part or I have a SW all surface oil based enamel that
I love (which I'll try anyway).

The all surface enamel may work because I know powder coat is basically
a plastic surface and may need something "gentler" than a 2 part
professional finish.

Any thoughts?

Had you asked for _knowledge_ I would have kept my mouth shut (or at
least posted a much shorter reply). But you want thoughts, so...

I think there are different kinds of plastic that qualify as "powder
coat". Most (I think) are thermoplastics that melt when you heat them,
but I know my brother has spoken about getting something powder coated
with epoxy, which is a thermoset plastic. I can certainly imagine a 2-
part system that goes on dry, then melts with heat and starts
polymerizing.

So I think you should experiment, if you can, to find out what sticks and
doesn't attack the powder coat.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com