Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Computer question

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , OG
writes

"John" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message
I don't want to get into too much technical debate with Geeks - but do
I need Microsoft .NET Framework?

I have been offered an update at 248 Mb. I wonder if I can strip it
off as I don't see what benefit I get from it.

If you're running a stripped down system, and you've got no software
which uses it, then no. OTOH it's the MS way of developing stuff, so
more stuff will be using it. 248M is quite a lot, but think of it as a
big shared component rather than a standalone thing.

I don't do games or any developing of applications - just Office, MS
Money and Internet browsing.

Depends.
Microsoft have some nice freebies that need .Net Framework installed
before you can use them - an example being "Image Composite Editor" which
allows you to stitch photos together to make panoramas.

And what's 250 meg nowadays ?

60 quid buys you a TB disk nowadays

I'd be more concerned about the other system resources getting hogged.