Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation Question

On Mar 23, 9:55*pm, (fwfrog)
wrote:
fwfrog had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Insulation-Question-36...
*:
After much debating, I think we're going to go with company #2 and the
R-49 of blown-in fiberglass. *I was finally able to get accurate quotes on
the number of inches and the total cost from the second company ($698 for
19.5 inches of blown-in fiberglass). *As someone guessed earlier, with
this second company, the cost per inch did indeed drop as you moved up
from R-38 to R-49.

Here's my final question...

How important is it to have our home "weatherized" before we blow in the
fiberglass insulation?

As many people have mentioned, it's a good idea to "fix" anything before
the new insulation is blow-in. *Although we don't need to do anything with
our electrical wiring, I wondered if this logic would also apply to
sealing leaks in the attic?

Since we're not getting the blown-in foam insulation, I know the
fiberglass won't "seal" any leaks. *Would we be doing ourselves a
disservice by not having someone come out to "weather-proof" our house
first? *We're probably losing more energy through old doors, windows, and
the chimney than anything. *(We had a new A/C unit put in not even 2 years
ago, so I'd think that the duct work would be solid.)

I'm not sure what leaks might be present in the attic - but I didn't want
to go about this insulation process in the wrong order, if I could help it.