Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jasen Betts[_2_] Jasen Betts[_2_] is offline

Default Building DIY pro. speakers - 500_watt_top_box.jpg (1/1)

On 2009-03-23, Eeyore wrote:

Jasen Betts wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:47:35 -0400, wrote:

(1) Passive crossover... Yecch!

Yes, I'll agree with that 100%. The reasons for that being long and
complicated.

(2) No double wall with sand fill ?:-)

No need. The best structural material for speaker cabinets is a
composite made of a plywood outer ( for durability ) with an MDF inner
for damping. 'Honeycombing' the interior ( probably with MDF panels )

Huh? MDF is harder than pine ply.

Define 'harder' !

use any hardess gauge you want.
(eg hit it with a ball hammer and observe the size of the mark left
measure the force needed to push nails in etc...)

MDF is far better damped but prone to environmental plus
knocks and bumps damage.

the MDF we have in NZ is harder (and denser) than the plywood.

I'm thinking you've got some low density stuff there, or some hard ply.