Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

aemeijers wrote:

Having said that, based on what I have heard from people in real life
and on here, I'd only be inclined to epoxy virgin concrete after it has
cured for at least a month. Degreasing and etching old concrete is
nasty, expensive, and usually not perfect.

That's true - although I've done epoxy on new and old concrete with good
results. Even with new concrete (30 days or more cure), you are supposed to acid
etch with muratic acid to get the best adhesion. Nasty stuff, but that's why
prep is 90% of the job.

An alternative to acid etching is shot peening or sand blasting the finish - but
they require rental equipment and I've never tried them.

A relative with an older garage floor had a company do a non-epoxy coating that
looks very similar to epoxy , but was much thicker. That turned out really well
and the thicker coating filled in the cracks completely without any gap or dip
afterwards. Not sure how long it will look good - but the company claimed wear &
heat resistance (tire lift) similar to epoxy.Took a full day with a crew of 3 or
4 to do a double bay garage. Much faster than the multiple days epoxy takes.