Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Signs

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:48:32 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Jim Chandler" wrote

The rise in gun sales is due to one thing and one thing only.
America's number one gun salesman....Barack Obama! The NRA had
nothing to do with it. Only a small percentage of those buying guns
and ammo since his election are NRA members.

Jim

I find it somewhat reassuring to see all the new people at the gun shows,
pawn shops and gun shops. Looks like a lot of "closet wingers" are coming
out. BTW, my sister-in-law just got her first gun, a new 9mm KAHR. Lovely
piece. Both of them. I love the way the KAHR fits in my hand, but can only
dream of that other piece.

Steve

If the Kahr is a polymer piece (CW9,etc), I tried real hard to like it
a coupla years ago and just couldn't get there though some folks do. I
found it unacceptably harsh to practice with, and I regard regular
practice as imperative. I also couldn't convince myself that I could
ever get to like the Kahr DAO trigger though I do like the concept.

I've never tried the all-metal, heavier and pricier K9 because I could
never find one to even handle, much less rent or borrow to fire.

The Springfield EMP is nice but very pricy and I don't want to carry
cocked and locked because I worry that I'll forget the damned safety
under stress. I know of one highly-trained Navy Seal that made that
error under combat condx, damn near bought it that day. I'm just a
senior civilian...

I recently stumbled upon a used-but-mint Para-Ordnance Carry 9 that I
could handle if not fire. It has their LDA (light double action)
trigger, is about the same size as a Kahr.

I'd been wanting to try one of these or a PDA for a while now but
nobody ever seemed to have one on hand. I figured I probably wouldn't
like their trigger any better than I did the Kahr.

WRONG! Put that in big red caps, boldface. I liked it a LOT. It's
basically a compact 1911 design in 9mmp but with the LDA action.

Good price, piece looked about unused, I didn't blink. That one
followed me home. I've now put maybe 100 rounds thru it. I am flat
amazed at how accurate that small pistol is in my hands. I say "in my
hands" because I don't care how accurate it might be in someone
else's hands unless they're defending me which ain't bloody likely. I
credit the pistol rather than my hands but whatever, it sure works fer
me.

I can very comfortably shoot a 100-round session with the little Carry
9 and we (it and I) put all or nearly all of those rounds in the max
score zone of a B-27 or LTR-II silhouette at 25 feet. It's very close
in size and weight to my PPK in .380, but it shoots a whole bunch
better for me and it uses the significantly more powerful 9mmp ammo.
Shot placement is more important than caliber, but good shot placement
with more powerful caliber is a good thing. A handgun is what a
soldier uses to fight his way to a rifle. I'm a senior civilian, not
a sojer.

I shoot a very slightly larger and heavier Colt Officer's 1911 in
..45ACP nearly as well, but I strongly prefer Para's LDA action for
infrequent carry with a round in the pipe.

YMMV, of course, merely reporting my experience.