Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default JACKHAMMER EXPERIENCE?

On Mar 22, 2:54*pm, "justme" wrote:
Has anyone ever used a H.F. LARGE jackhammer AND a Bosch Brute jackhammer?

I need to break up some limestone and harder rocks underground.

I already bought a H.F. unit but haven't gotten it yet.

Has anyone every made one self-supporting on a 3 or four-wheeled cart
whereby one didn't have to hold the unit?

Thanks

j/b

Might not be pertinent, but I had a solid limestone outcrop in the way
of a home sewer line at my former home. Had to make an opening
through the rock roughly 2' wide by 5' high by about 8' long. I
borrowed a pnuematic jack hammer, an Ingersol Rand rock drill and a
150cfm compressor from a friend. The jack hammer made little or no
progress. The rock drill worked pretty well at drilling, but making
swiss cheese of the rock did not really speed things along. It was a
bitch to hold at an angle on the rock face as it weighs about 100 lbs
and the drill steel was about 3' long, it also made a clouds of rock
dust which went everywhere.. Next I tried expansive concrete put into
the drilled holes to split the rock. This worked, but was painfully
slow. Called a Blasting company, but one look at the site and I was
told it was it too close to the house. Next I rented a track hoe with
a 2000 lb hydraulic breaker hammer. This made quick work of the rock
and also was able to break it up into nice sized chunks I could move
out of the way with my backhoe. Well worth the $600 rental fee which
included delivery.