Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug S Doug S is offline

Default DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

The bearings are a square cast, oil-impregnated material. They are not
available at a bearing supply house, they are DeWalt specific. Also, when
removing the bearing blocks, if you are replacing all four of them, notice
that only one of the bearings has a set of two springs on it. You must keep
these two springs on the same bearing location (the other three bearing
blocks only have one spring). If you don't, you could end up with more feed
problems.

Usually you don't need to replace the rollers unless there is an obvious
issue with them, such as deterioration or slippage.

Doug

" wrote in message
After replacing the drive chain with a stiff link in it last week, and
reassembled the planer, I ran a few test boards through. First one
went through ok. Second one, the planer resumed its "thunk thunk
thunk" leaving divots. This time I completely disassembled the planer
and found bushing for the roller in the exit side of the planer was
almost completely worn through. In fact, there was a stress crack in
one side of the bushing. I could probably peel open the bushing if I
tried! I guess the stiff link in the chain caused the spindle to pull
up & down until it wore the bushing out?

The amazing thing is that I have not run that many board feet through
the planer. Doing more research, it appears this is not an isolated
incident for these bushings to fail - they appear to be aluminum?

In any case my question is: since I am replacing the bushings, I
probably should replace the rollers/spindles as well, right? Since (I
would think) they would both wear evenly, particularly the one in the
back that wore through the bushing?

Cheers,
Dukester