Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy[_3_] Michael Kennedy[_3_] is offline

Default Discharging old style Video CRT?

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
I have an old Televideo dumb terminal that has shaky video brightness.
It's
not dirty controls; but looks to be a bad/marginal capacitor. That
capacitor sits next to what I believe was called a "flyback unit" - it
has
a rubber "hat" on it with a thick wire coming out of it. I also recall
that
those things held a pretty nasty charge even when the video unit was
powered
down.

Does anyone know the proper procedure to discharge it, so I won't get
fried
when I replace the capacitor?

I'd suggest reviewing the information at

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm

--

I second this advice.. There is a ton of info there, maybe even something
helpful to your repair aside from discharging the CRT.

Mike