Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

" wrote in message
After replacing the drive chain with a stiff link in it last week, and
reassembled the planer, I ran a few test boards through. First one
went through ok. Second one, the planer resumed its "thunk thunk
thunk" leaving divots. This time I completely disassembled the planer
and found bushing for the roller in the exit side of the planer was
almost completely worn through. In fact, there was a stress crack in
one side of the bushing. I could probably peel open the bushing if I
tried! I guess the stiff link in the chain caused the spindle to pull
up & down until it wore the bushing out?

The amazing thing is that I have not run that many board feet through
the planer. Doing more research, it appears this is not an isolated
incident for these bushings to fail - they appear to be aluminum?

In any case my question is: since I am replacing the bushings, I
probably should replace the rollers/spindles as well, right? Since (I
would think) they would both wear evenly, particularly the one in the
back that wore through the bushing?

Do you have a bearing supply place close to you?? If so, bring in the old
bushing and show it to them. They can replace it with something much
better. This is a common upgrade to many tools out there.

I had a friend who had a Craftman sander that had the bushings/bearings go
out on him. He brought it in to the bearing place and the guy picked it and
looked at it. He said, "Craftman sander?" He had seen it before, obviously.

Anyway, bearings/bushings are standard parts. They just put the cheap ones
in to reduce cost. DO NOT replace it with the same junk! Get something
good. Nuff said. End of rant.