Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
T.Alan Kraus T.Alan Kraus is offline

Default What S.S. to use?

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 01:10:40 -0700, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

As long as there's no welding involved, type 303.

Why no welding?
Never had a problem tigging 303.

I've tigged a lot of 303 as well, but it's not recommended. The sulfur
that's added to improve machinability interferes with welding. I used
to fabricate SS marine hardware for a living and when I was welding
every day I could tell the difference between 303 and 304/316 by the
way the weld puddle behaved.

I have found that a meticulous cleaning and almost polishing before
welding makes a beneficial difference in the weld puddle and finished
appearance.

cheers
T.Alan