Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Installing Gas Oven

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Han wrote:

SMcK wrote in
@e18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

OK, I just pulled the oven away from the wall and there is no valve
to shut off between the floor and the flexible metal pipe. There's
just the metal pipe coming up through the floor, the flexible tube
and the oven. Any ideas on how to handle this? I wonder if maybe
there's a valve below the floor, in the crawlspace. FWIW - the
house was built in 1950, and I suspect this is the original
location for the oven.

-Scott

Since gas is tricky and potentially bad for the house and you, I
advise to get a plumber/gasfitter to work on it, unless you really
know what you are doing. Number one: You want to get the gas shut
off somewhere between the mains coming in and the location of your
oven. Without that (in real good working order - you won't want that
main shutoff to fail!), you are close to being in grave danger, even
if you knew wwaht you are doing.

Grave danger? Nuts.

0. check for and eliminate sources of ignition, such as a
candle-powered miner's helmet on your head, or a cigarette in your
mouth.

1. gather together one slicer valve, preconfigured in the closed
position, one roll of teflon tape, one finger, and an appropriate
wrench.

2. remove flexible pipe from supply pipe.

3. insert finger (note that subsequent steps will be slightly easier
if the finger used is not your own.)

4. clean threads

5. wrap threads with tape

6. remove finger

7. install valve

I think I know a little bit (indeed little bit) about this "job". I
would hesitate to do it anyway. I sure would not like to be within 500
ft of the house if my SIL or son tried it. The OP knows nothing about
this type of work, so I still advise him to get someone who does. Maybe
you are willing to go and do it? (I don't know where Smitty or Scotty
live, but I hope not in 07410).

--
Best regards
Han