Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Gray PVC fittings in residential plumbing -- kosher?

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

This is a *threaded* grey PVC fitting of the kind that I have all over
the place in my lawn sprinkler system. Shinier and darker in color than
the PVC electrical conduit.

Perce

Here's something I just pulled from the US Plastics website:

"Schedule 40 is available in gray and white, and is for socket fittings
only. It is NSF listed, but can't be threaded. Schedule 80 is available
in gray and is for socket or threaded fittings."

So it sounds like if you want threaded, you go with schedule 80, which
is gray. Whoever plumbed your toilets wanted a threaded fitting, so
that's what he went with. I think you're fine.

Now, I've seen and used plenty of threaded white PVC fittings, with
white sched. 40 pipe, but maybe they were sched. 80 fittings and perhaps
the sched. 80 being gray only is a new thing.