Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Question on routers and router tables

Leon wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Hammer Hands wrote:
I have to agree with Leon. I have the larger Triton in my table and
absolutely love it. It has variable speed and will take anything I throw
at it and laugh!

My 3HP Makita 3612C (an old design but still a goodie) has an electronic
brake. I don't know whether the Triton (or any other popular "3HP"
router) has that feature, but I *love* it, and any new router I bought
would most certainly have to have it.

Do you like that brake when used in a hand held operation and do you have to
hold the switch for the motor to continue to run? I don't think that would
be a big deal when used in a router table situation but I can certainly see
the value in hand held usage.

Funny you should ask, because the Makita is my table router and I got
tired of taking it out of the table for hand-held operations so I bought
a Dewalt combo pack. I agonized over that purchase because the Dewalt
had all the features I wanted *except* for a brake, and to this day I
wish I'd found a different combo that had one. I like the brake for
both table and hand-held operations. I wish my tablesaw had one! :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/