Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to compensate for ceiling strip when installing recessed housings?

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 21, 11:30 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"fftt" wrote in message

On Mar 21, 8:01 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I just ran into a problem.

My ceiling sheetrocks are not attached directly to the joist, but to a
layer
of 1x3 furring strips which are then attached to the joists. See image
below.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/P1010313.jpg

Now, when I install recessed light housing I somehow have to account for
this strip. If I line up the flange with the bottom of the joist and
attach
them that way, instead of the "lip" of the housing protruding 1/2"
beyond
the joist, it is a little above the furring strip and I assume this
would
be
a problem.

I cannot lower the attachment point of the housing flanges, so I think
my
only solution is to sister 2x4s to the joists on both sides of the
housing,
but lower them to flush with the strip. This would not only add a lot of
work, but will also require me to shift the housing positions as some of
them that are supposed to be located such that it's butt up against a
joist,
would have to be repositioned.

Any easier way?

Thanks,

MC

Use retrofit cans? They're quick & easy

Why was all the sheetrock removed? What's up with the insulation?

The new ceiling would be a lot stiffer if you used 5/8" sheetrock.

If you insist on using "new construction" cans....
can you modify the brackets or use them as is to attach to the cans
to the furring strips?

cheers
Bob

Sheetrock was removed for several reasons combined, it had some roof
leaks,
also part of the ceiling was slightly lower before when transitioning from
living to dinning to kitchen, and now that I have that entire space opened
up, I had to make the ceiling one level. Plus the sheetrock was 1/2"
plaster coat over 3/8" gypsum backer board, matching thickness would be
very
difficult.

I can't use remodel cans now anyways with sheetrock down. Also since I use
EMT conduits there are quite a few cases I did not have the clearances I
need to put a housing in, if I had sheetrock down and use remodel cans, I
would have opened up at least 80 holes for the 42 recessed lights I am
installing.

MC- Hide quoted text -

42 lights! What kind of bulbs, that sounds like alot of electricity
and heat generated

No, not 42 lights in my kitchen.

42 is a grand total of recessed lights in the entire house.

Kitchen general - 4
Kitchen sink/counter area - 4
Dinning room - 6
Living room - 10
Four bedrooms - 2 each 10 total
One hallway - 6
Four bathrooms - 5 total

So total of 45 recessed lights around the house. There are additional
scones, flush mounts, pendants, fluorescent light coves, track lighting in
these areas as well. But no, not 42 recessed lights in the kitchen, that
would probably cook the food by itself LOL.