Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 06:55:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Any views on the reliability of Pioneer plasma?

FWIW, I notice that LG plasma TVs have a 1 year warranty whereas their
LCD TVs have 3 years. This would suggest that plasma panels are
inherently less reliable than LCDs.

As you have said, Pioneer appear to be getting out of the TV business:
http://hdguru.com/pioneer-to-exit-the-tv-business/366/

Last year they began outsourcing production of plasma panels to
Panasonic/Matsu****a, so a more appropriate question might be the
reliability of Panasonic panels.

On the plus side, I notice that Pioneer will sometimes sell you
individual ICs (eg scan IC) rather than the whole PCB.

You may want to check some parts prices he
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...755870KPZT%2DP

This article recommends against an extended warranty:
http://www.mysimon.com/4002-9375-6309568.html

"Our most recent survey found few repair problems during the first
three years of use for plasma sets from Panasonic, Pioneer, and
Samsung. ... Our surveys of thousands of consumers show that plasma
flat-panel TVs have been very reliable for the first three years --
the time covered by many extended warranties -- so there's little
sense in spending several hundred dollars for such a warranty."

- Franc Zabkar