Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Question on routers and router tables

wrote in message
On Mar 22, 12:25 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:07:27 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

It's either a 3-1/2 HP motor or it's a 15 amp motor, but running on a
120v circuit it's for durn sure not both. 3.5hp on 120v requires a
minimum of 22amps and that assumes a unity power factor and 100%
electromechanical efficiency. It's far more likely that the router
motor
develops something closer to 1.5HP.

What's even stranger is that some manufacturers offer a 2.x horse router
and a 3.x horse. The 2s usually draw 12 amps and the 3s 15. One horse
out of three amps ain't perpetual motion, but it's close!

I'm trying to imagine a real 3 hp router. I think it might be a
little top heavy

Have you seen a CNC router?